ACB of Nebraska Board
Kristal Platt, President
Tyler Juranek, Vice President
Dale Oviatt, Treasurer
Jim Jirak, Recording Secretary
Becky Dunkerson, Corresponding Secretary
Chris Brennfoerder, Board member
Who We Are
Affiliated with the American Council of the Blind (ACB), the American Council of the Blind of Nebraska is a statewide membership organization, comprised primarily of blind and visually impaired persons, presently with local chapters in Lincoln and Omaha. We are committed to improving the living conditions of blind and visually impaired individuals by promoting self-independence and effective participation as citizens in all aspects of society. Some of the services that we provide include transportation subsidy programs in each of our chapter areas and acting as resources for our members.
In the legislative and service arenas, the American Council of the Blind of Nebraska focuses on subjects and concerns of Nebraska’s visually impaired citizens.
People First, Causes Second
The American Council of the Blind of Nebraska has always vigorously supported freedom of choice, regarding the selection of all blind rehabilitation services. We firmly believe that all such services should be based on a “person's individual needs”, rather than being unduly restricted to a series of so called “canned programs”, and that the visually impaired consumer should be a “full and equal partner” in their rehabilitation plan. This provision is mandated in federal law by recent changes made within the 1998 Rehabilitation Act as revised, and is reflected by our state motto, “People First, Causes Second”.
Our affiliation with the American Council of the Blind provides Nebraska citizens access to the following services:
- Sources and assistance on matters pertinent to the blind or visually impaired.
- Information and referral on all aspects of blindness.
- Assistance in chapter development.
- Employment opportunity information.
- Monitoring of existing service delivery systems and advocating for improvement when necessary.
- Representations on boards and advisory committees, both governmental and private.
- Consultations and assistance in technological research and access thereto.
Our mission and goals
Download our brochure
About our national organization
The ACB Song